:: Our Story ::

We try not to take life too seriously & are entertained by the little things, like treating our dog, Minnow, like a baby, laughing at our silly, sweet babies, basement foosball tournaments, and dance parties in the car. We are madly in love with each other and the wee family we are building. Come & stay awhile. xo

{ photography :: www.melissapagephotoart.com }

Sunday, April 10, 2011

These last few weeks have passed in a whirlwind.  Our life is beyond busy; the regular business of life compounded as I try to build a photography business on the side.  Being back at work has been many things - an adjustment, a sacrifice, a joy, a sorrow.  I feel good - to be using my education, to be connecting with clients I have missed, to feel like I am contributing financially to our family budget and goals.  But it has been so hard to be apart from Judah for so many hours in a day, sorrow when its bedtime, which seems to come much too early.  But, after two weeks, we have settled into a routine that - fingers crossed - will work for us.  I have figured out a few things:

:: the slow cooker is my new best friend.  To have dinner ready when we get home from work means both Jody and I have more time with Judah before bedtime.

:: the early bird gets the worm.  I have been waking up early.  As in e.a.r.l.y!  It takes a few moments for a groggy haze to dissipate, but it gives me time to read my bible, do a few chores, email and edit and get ready for work before Judah wakes.  Because then, once he's awake, its just momma & Judah time.  I feed him a leisurely breakfast and read books and tickle and feed Minnow treats and go for a walk, looking at birds and touching plants.  It lets me go to work feeling like we had a good hour and a half of quality time.  Last week, out of exhaustion and laziness, I slept in a few times and wasn't able to have this time with him.  It made for a lousy day.

:: Wednesday.  Its my new favorite day.  I'm not sure that I've had a favorite day before, but now it is definitely Wednesday.  Because Thursday is my Friday.  And Wednesday means its almost Thursday.

:: Cleanliness.  Its over-rated.  My house is a disaster, the laundry pile claiming most of the underwear and socks Jody and I own.  I have stopped obsessing over the dishes and the bathrooms and have been just letting myself slack off a bit, with no guilt.

:: 7:30.  Until 7:30 (Judah's bedtime), nothing gets done.  No phone calls are returned, texts unanswered.  Its 100% family time.  We talk about our days, we play games and walk to the park, we eat dinner and cuddle.  Its just the three of us, together.

I know many people wouldn't agree with certain decisions Jody and I are making right now.  For me to work, for Judah to be in daycare.  But it is what our family needs right now.  Yes, I would love to be home full-time.  Or have the luxury of working only a day or two a week.  But, I also feel incredibly lucky to have a job I love.  Not everyone can say that.  And I do love it.  I love the clients, my co-workers, floss and toothbrushes.

This is our life right now.  It is busy and exhausting and full.  But it is our life and we love it.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you should worry whether people agree with you working or not. Every family is different...different personalities and needs. I know you're making the right decision for you and your fam. You've given me some good things to think about for when I go back to work. I'm doing three days a week and I think your suggestions are great ones!

    Isn't it AWESOME having family time? I love hanging out...just the three of us as well. It makes me perfectly happy and content!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...