:: Our Story ::

We try not to take life too seriously & are entertained by the little things, like treating our dog, Minnow, like a baby, laughing at our silly, sweet babies, basement foosball tournaments, and dance parties in the car. We are madly in love with each other and the wee family we are building. Come & stay awhile. xo

{ photography :: www.melissapagephotoart.com }

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Witching Hour

When Judah was 3 1/2 weeks old, the witching hour began. Up until this point, I thought Jody and I had made the most perfect baby ever. Then the crying started. I've been hesitant to write about it because it was too difficult and, on some level, made me question my mothering abilities. And not in the stroller-starting-to-roll-down-the-hill and left-a-dirty-diaper-in-the-sleeper kinda way. In the real, do-I-know-what-I'm-doing kinda way. Thankfully, some of my wiser, more experience mother friends told me the evening crying and inability to console your newborn is normal and appropriately termed "The Witching Hour".

After searching the internet for answers, harassing my friends with constant phone calls, and grilling the doctor for tips, I decided to cut out all dairy and caffeine, as well as start the nursing diet, which cuts out anything babies might be sensitive to (broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc). I also started giving him probiotic drops, BioGaia, daily. I was willing to try anything and although I officially sacrificed my three favorite food groups (dairy, coffee and chocolate), it really wasn't a sacrifice. I was willing to do anything to help alleviate the crying.

The first week is started, the crying lasted from 4 p.m. to about 11 p.m. I thank my lucky stars that Jody was home from work by that time because it was hard, really hard. The inability to comfort or soothe your baby is a horrible feeling; I was heartbroken and frustrated. Over the next few weeks, the time Judah would spend crying slowly decreased by about 15 minutes a day. To comfort him, we tried the stroller, car rides, the baby swing, rocking, cuddling, baths, and pretty much any other trick people told us or we read about. For a week, nothing worked. Until one of my co-workers dropped of a present - the Ergo baby carrier. It was honestly heaven-sent and the only thing that would finally lull our sad baby to sleep. Neighbours would see Jody and I out walking, usually between 9:30 and 10:30, around the neighbourhood, night after night. Some nights were gorgeous, some nights the spring storms poured hard and we wondered if our umbrella would make it. We walked on. Some nights Judah would cry for blocks before succumbing to the Ergo or would wake instantly went we got home, which required another late-night walk. We walked on.

Before walk.

After walk.

Thankfully, his crying has now almost fully stopped and is only a little bit of occasional fussiness. Jody and I have finally been able to go out at night and socialize, something that we desperately missed. Judah has been to two dinner parties and hosted one himself (I got really brave this last weekend!). As nice as the return of our social life has been, seeing my baby fall asleep easily at night is the greatest joy. It may be the BioGaia, the dietary changes, answered prayers or just time. Whatever it is, I am immensely thankful. And I am thankful for a husband who walked and rocked with me every night for the last five weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, this post made me tear up...we've all been there and let me tell you, the crying stops but every mom knows the "witching hour" well...between afternoon nap (or lack there of) and dinner, then bedtime. It's SO hard to walk through, thankfully you're not alone and have a great man to stand by you and rock your sweet babe for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...